Monday, March 23, 2015

Lent: Prodigal Son

Excited to have guest blogger Meredith Ainley share her thoughts on Lent with us!  Enjoy!

I have recently been thinking a lot about Luke 15:11-32, commonly known as “The Parable of the Prodigal Son.” This is because of class assignments and because our church community is reading short excerpts from Henri Nouwen’s writings throughout the season of Lent. The author is especially associated with this season because of his book, The Return of the Prodigal Son, and he talks about the profound effect Rembrandt's painting had on him, especially the embrace of the father and son.



Nouwen once described Lent as a season of struggle, where winter and spring fight with each other for control. My parents who live in Arkansas are experiencing this struggle firsthand: it snowed a foot and was 3 degrees F this morning; however, next week’s forecast indicates that the temps will be in the mid-60s. Oddly enough, I miss the seasonal drama, which is less obvious in sunny Southern California. There is something attractive about a forced rest that winter brings; I confess that the thought of being snowed in with my family right now, with no where to go, with obligations and demands on hold, sounds amazing. I often long for home and have to ask what “home” provides that I am lacking. Some have experienced home as a place of rest, belonging, safety, provision, and love; yet even if our experience of home was very different or a distorted picture of these things, we all deeply desire a true “home” that provides an embrace of belonging and unconditional love.

Nouwen said, “I am the prodigal son every time I search for unconditional love where it cannot be found. Why do I keep ignoring the place of true love and persist in looking for it elsewhere? Why do I keep leaving home where I am called a child of God, the Beloved of my Father? I am constantly surprised at how I keep taking the gifts God had given me—my health, my intellectual and emotional gifts—and keep using them to impress people, receive affirmation and praise, and compete for rewards, instead of developing them for the glory of God.” (in The Return of the Prodigal Son)

Lent is a time when we can reflect upon our longings, consider our waywardness, and truly confront the ways we search for unconditional love apart from God’s embrace. Feeling frazzled, tired, fragmented on the inside? Just need a hug? Spend a few minutes looking at Rembrandt's painting and experience the homecoming, belonging, and safety of the Father’s embrace.

Return home to the One who calls you His Beloved.

No comments:

Post a Comment